Such an endearing little word, I call my kids muffin all the time! It just sounds cute, cuddly and something you want to squeeze…. ok maybe a little off topic 🙂 Its early, my little muffins are still snoozing and its a school day where hot lunch is not exactly going to be bringing that many healthy adds to the diet but at least it gives me a morning without packing 3 lunch boxes. I hear the joyous chorus of YES!! ringing across West Vancouver as parents agree its a little moment of guilty pleasure knowing hot lunch has saved you from the mounds of plastic to pack and wash!
I dont know about you but I often find mornings are the worst to get little ones to eat, and frankly I would rather tempt them with something I know they will enjoy in the knowledge their bellies are full than fight over eggs and fruit. Honestly its about picking the right battles and its taken me a while to realize this. However mummy does have a couple of tricks up her sleeve, she can cook and is a master at disguise 🙂
If you would like to fill your little munckins, monkeys or muffins up then try this Oh so delicious and crammed with goodness recipe that is sure to satisfy their bellies with brain food and smiles. As always these recipes can be adapted to suit their and your tastes and can be made the night before as most mornings are to be honest a wild frenzy of bags, books, inside out clothing and sibling shoving which requires all men on deck!
Autumnal Spiced Muffins with Apple Cranberry Compote
- 1⁄4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup almond pulp (if you have it from your home made almond milk otherwise some ground or whole quick oats will work too
- 1/2 cup of nut butter (whichever your heart desires I pretty much love peanut or almond butter in anything)
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 olive oil & 1/4 cup soft butter
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 un-sulphured molasses (or soft brown sugar)
- 2-3 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp organic orange essence
- 3/4 cup of shredded carrot
- pinch salt
- 2 mashed very rip bananas
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger (I actually like it spicy so I also add 1 tbps of shredded raw ginger)
- spinkle of nutmeg and ground cloves to suit your taste (optional)
- 1/2 cup of chopped dark chocolate and if you like a kick some chopped stem ginger
For extra sneaky goodness try a sprinkle of SEEDIBLES , packed full of autumnal spice and seed goodness. Seedibles adds a powerful nutritional boost to all of your kids’ meals! CinnaWow and QuinoaCool are packed with protein, fibre and omega 3 fats all derived from their super seed ingredients.
- Heat oven to 350. Line a muffin tin with 12 parchment muffin liners or 2 mini muffin tins with 24 mini parchment liners. (I actually double the batch and have extras to share or freeze)
- In a medium bowl, whisk the the chia seeds and almond milk together – let sit for 5 minutes to gel.
- Beat in the eggs. Add the olive oil, maple syrup, molasses and orange essence.
- Stir in ground almond pulp, mashed bananas, hemp hearts, chia mixture,carrots, orange zest, baking powder, spices and salt until mixed well.
- Fold in chocolate.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups or 24 mini muffin cups – they will be quite full.
- Bake full muffins for 30-35 minutes or mini muffins for 18-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile to make a the apple cranberry compote, simple take a couple of seasonal sweet apples, peel, core and chop into chunky pieces and mix in a bowl with a cup full of fresh cranberries.
- In a pan over a low heat melt 2 tbsp of butter with 1-2tbsp of pumpkin spice ( a mixture of ground ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and ground cloves ) when melted and warm, mix in apple/ cranberry mixture and cook until the butter becomes a little tacky and apples have softened but not mushy.
- With your warm muffins begging to be devoured, spoon over the apple compote and drizzle with warm maple syrup and serve to happy smiling faces 🙂
Of course this recipe has a lot of ingredients partly because I actually cook by throwing a little of this and a little of that in, so feel free to modify and just add the flavors you like – then post back and tell me what you made !! cant wait to try your version and be super creative I will make the best one and blog them back for all to enjoy! with a little eccentricity from Literally life….