The idea of Messy finger night was invented by one of our dearest extended family members, Lizzie who lived with us in New York and Chicago. Bringing us so many laughs and special moments, sampling dishes and inventing creative ways to engage the kids picky palettes.
Today we still have Messy finger night where silverware is banned and the food is deliberately sticky. This always brings a smile to Chloe, its the one night mummy won’t say ‘Use your knife and fork!!’ I highly recommend it to relax the manners and just enjoy eating kid style! It’s taken Hudson a while to get use to getting his hands dirty but the promise of bacon usually does the trick!
- 12 Organic chicken drumsticks
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 6 rashers of nitrate free bacon
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1/2 large red onion diced
- 1 pepper diced (red or orange)
- 1 small zucchini diced
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 can of diced organic tomatoes
- 1 ripe green mango diced
- a few sprigs of oregano (or 1 tbsp dried)
- a few sprigs of parsley (or 1 tbsp dried)
- 1 crushed garlic clove
- sprinkle of sea salt and crushed black pepper
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat oven to 375F
- In a large cast iron skillet melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil, coat skillet and heat till sizzling. Then sear chicken drumsticks and sprinkle with salt, pepper and nutritional yeast, turn till just browning. Remove and set aside.
- Melt 1 further Tbsp of coconut oil in the skillet and cook onions, peppers and zucchini until just softened and starting to brown, then coat in maple syrup and cook for a further 2 minutes on low heat.
- Place softened veggies and all other ingredients (except chicken) into a high speed blender (I use my Vitamix) and blend on smoothie or soup setting until smooth. Dont clean the skillet yet!
- Arrange drumsticks in a large ovenproof dish and pour over tangy vegetable sauce (tell the kids its BBQ). Cook in oven for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove drumsticks and transfer them into the skillet (warmed) without the sauce and top with bacon rashers cut into 1 inch strips.
- Turn oven up to 400F, cook skillet with chicken for a further 10-15 minutes till bacon is crispy and chicken is falling off the bone. If you need the bacon to brown a little more simply broil of a couple of minutes. A few minutes before the chicken is done you can return the sauce in the oven proof dish to warm through and use this as a hot dipping sauce served in individual bowls.
- Serve with a big stack of napkins and oven veggies of your choice, I like skinny asparagus spears tossed in olive oil with a sprinkle of salt and pepper, they work brilliantly as another finger food! also great for dipping in the yummy sauce.
The smile is the smell of Bacon!
The plate was liked clean with NO evidence of Bacon left!
I hope you enjoy your messy finger night! with a little eccentricity from….