It’s spring break and the kids are busy and hungry!!! I need to get a good dose of protein into them before they dash off to soccer and sport camps and I want it to be fun because, its SPRING BREAK!! However I didn’t anticipate this latest batch of muffins to be so scrummy! Don’t tell Sarah but I ate one then snuck another and for good luck swiped one more. Yes its true I have moments of total lack of control. The good thing is, I made them so I know exactly what went into them and exactly how many good things are giving me a boost too.
Try this recipe and just be warned its not only for the kids!!! Please drop me a comment and let me know how you liked them and also if you have and variations of your own!
Almond Breakfast Muffins with Lemon and Blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup chia seeds whisked
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3/4 cup almond pulp
- 1/2 cup of chocolate nutty butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2-3 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp organic orange essence
- pinch salt
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (optional)
- 1/2 cup of chopped dark chocolate
- Heat oven to 350. Line a muffin tin with 12 parchment muffin liners or 2 mini muffin tins with 24 mini parchment liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the the chia seeds and almond milk together – let sit for 5 minutes to gel.
- Beat in the eggs. Add the olive oil, maple syrup and orange essence.
- Stir in ground almond pulp, chocolate nutty butter, hemp hearts, chia mixture, orange zest, baking powder and salt until mixed well.
- Fold in blueberries and chocolate.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups or 24 mini muffin cups – they will be quite full.
- Bake full muffins for 30-35 minutes or mini muffins for 18-20 minutes.
Perfect in the morning with a smoothie or an afternoon pick me up which the kids will love with an almond milk hot chocolate. Sprinkle a little orange zest and chocolate scrappings on the top of your muffins, sit back and wait for screams of ‘More Please Mummy, More!!’ thanks if mummy hasn’t beaten you too it! enjoy with a little eccentricity from