Now that you are a pro at making your own almond milk its time to start enjoying all the benefits of the leftovers! Thats right, the creamy ball of almond pulp left behind in your nut bag is rich with goodness that you simply must not throw away. For me it has become a staple ingredient for many breakfast dishes and a fabulous was for me to add extra fibre and protein into the kids pancakes, muffins and oatmeal before they rush out the door.
Over the past two weeks having followed a fairly strict plan working with nutritionist Sarah J.Cuff of Eat2Run, I have started to crave the comfort of a breakfast muffin. I just love a warm treat with my almond milk latte and so I decided to create a recipe that avoided all flours and oats and only used the left over pulp from my almond milk. The result was really satisfying, golden, warm and zesty and a perfect compliment to my new staple, Matcha Latte.
Almond Breakfast Muffins with Lemon and Blueberries
- 1⁄4 cup chia seeds whisked
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 cup almond pulp
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tsp ground ginger root
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- pinch salt
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- Heat oven to 350. Line a muffin tin with 12 parchment muffin liners or 2 mini muffin tins with 24 mini parchment liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the the chia seeds and almond milk together – let sit for 5 minutes to gel.
- Beat in the eggs. Add the olive oil, maple syrup and ginger root.
- Stir in ground almond pulp, hemp hearts, chia mixture, lemon zest, baking powder and salt until mixed well.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups or 24 mini muffin cups – they will be quite full.
- Bake full muffins for 30-35 minutes or mini muffins for 18-20 minutes.
Now whip up your Matcha Latte, sprinkle a little zest on the top of your muffins, put your feet up and have a minute of sheer bliss in peace before anyone wakes up! enjoy with a little eccentricity from
and when little feet arrive they get to sneak a treat with mummy along with a cold bottle of homemade almond milk, the perfect start to the day !