I love Kale, not only is it a superfood but its so easy to use and a great option when you need to wrap something up or you need a base to hold food together. For breakfast today I created a new recipe inspired by the nutritional advice of Sarah J. Cuff of Eat2Run
Kale truly is a superfood, it is one of the best sources of Vitamin C. A cup of raw kale even contains more vitamin C than a whole orange. Kale, like other leafy greens, is very high in antioxidants and can lower Cholesterol.
Mushroom & Kale Eggy Bowl
- 1-2 Tbsp virgin coconut oil or grass fed butter
- 3/4 kale leaves per serving bowl
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups off diced mushrooms
- 1 handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped (or 2 Tbsp dried)
- dash of sea salt
- dash of fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2-3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Cayenne pepper – sprinkle
- 4 organic eggs
- 6 cherry tomatoes chopped and drizzled in olive oil
- garnish with sliced avocado and wedge of lime
- (optional) 2 organic sausages, cooked & sliced (or 100g organic, nitrate-free bacon)
- Heat oven to 375. Grease individual heat proof serving bowls
- First melt 1tsp of coconut oil per serving bowl greasing the edges and then wipe edges of kale in the excess oil to leave edges wet.
- Line the serving bowls with the kale so the crinkly leaves are flowering over the edges
- Dust with Cayenne pepper then nutritional yeast
- Crack eggs into the centre of the kale lined bowl, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and a 1/4 tsp of coconut oil. Then bake in the preheated oven for approximately 15 minutes until your eggs are cooked to your liking – I like a soft cooked egg so best to check frequently.
- Whilst the eggs are baking In a large skillet or fry-pan, heat the tablespoon of coconut oil or butter.
- Saute the onion and diced mushrooms until browning .
- When eggs are done, remove from the oven and assemble by topping with tomatoes, cilantro then the mushroom mixture and lastly toping with avocado and lime, sprinkle with Cayenne pepper.
- Enjoy :))) with a little eccentricity from Literally life!