I’m so excited when its Ugli fruit season. Whilst it’s appearance might mislead you the taste certainly won’t. This beautiful fruit is one of my favorite citrus treats. The flesh is so juicy and delicate and if you are lucky to get one perfectly ripe it has wonderfully refreshing bite without the sourness of a grapefruit.
You will need
- A cake base that can be crumbled (recommend moist almond cake – see archives for recipe)
- Coconut yoghurt
- Lime zest
- Raw ginger or for added sweetness candied ginger
- Lime juice
- Ugli fruit
- Shredded dry coconut flakes
- Lime slices
This recipe is great because you can use up your favorite cake as the base. I used my super moist Almond cake made with coconut and almond flour.
Steps to Yummy
- Combine the coconut yoghurt, lime zest, grated ginger (or finely chopped candied ginger) and lime juice. Refrigerate for 20 minutes
- Crumble up your left over moist almond cake onto some aluminum foil and place in a baking dish, then toast until its golden brown. Be sure to toss continually to achieve maximum all over toasting without burning.
- Sprinkle the shredded coconut onto a skillet and over a medium heat toast until golden brown. Toss frequently to avoid burning. I use unsweetened but if you use sweetened it will turn faster.
- Remove the peel from the Ugli fruit and slice into segments
- In a serving bowl, layer first with the toasted cake, then chilled yoghurt mix, ugly fruit and thin slices of lime. Finally sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Enjoy and let me know what you think!