One of my favorite dishes is roasted chicken with rosemary. It that brings back memories of spring nights back home in my mothers kitchen. I now love it paired with caramelized fennel and a crisp salad of spinach and granny smith apples. The rich flavor of fennel is a delicious contrast to the tart apple.
Today I had my little helper Lily join me, who is becoming quite the little chef. After watching MasterChef Junior she and her sister Chloe are eager to try new recipes. There was a moment this morning when I did wonder if she might invite some garden wildlife into the kitchen after watching the contestants cook alligator. Lily reminded me of the snapping turtle she found on the soccer pitch and wondered whether he would be a bit chewy.
- 1 Organic spring chicken
- 3/4 cup of butter (if you can, use grassfed like Kerrygold)
- 1 Tbsp of Himalayan sea salt
- 1Tbsp coarse black pepper (try using smoked)
- 3 springs of fresh rosemary
- Zest of 2 lemons
- 1 Fennel Bulb (trimmed)
- Olive oil
- Fresh Spinach
- 1 Granny smith apple, cored and cut into fine slices
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Balsamic vinegar, My dear friend Gwen introduced me to a wonderful company Pure Mountain it has the most delicious varieties
The steps to yumminess
- In a bowl soften and combine the butter, the zest of 1 lemon, salt and pepper
- Use a Tbsp of the butter mix and gentle massage into the chicken
- Add the rosemary leaves to the butter and shape into a ball
- Place the chicken into a large oven proof dish and add the butter ball onto the top. Add extra rosemary springs and a whole peeled lemon into the cavity and sprinkle with scallions.
- Cook uncovered at 400F for 20 minutes and then cover with foil and cook depending on the size of your chicken at 375
- In the meantime cut your fennel into thick slices and toss in olive oil mixed with a sprinkle of coarse black pepper, lemon zest and salt and roast in the oven for 45 minutes at 375 tossing mid way.
- When your chicken has been roasted to perfection, remove from the oven and let it rest for 10 minutes. Collect the juices and skim off the excess fat.
- Take a little of the delicious juice and combine with balsamic vinegar and lemon juice and use to dress your spinach salad
- Lastly very finely slice your granny smith apples and arrange with your dressed spinach, rosemary spring chicken and caramelized fennel
- Enjoy !!!!! with a little Eccentricity from Literally Life